View Single Post
Old 18th July 2003, 08:53     #13
DigitalDroppings

Re: I ate all the pies

Quote:
Originally posted by Simon
Got invited along to what I thought was a social game of touch tonight. I didn't know much about it, just assumed it was going to be a friendly run-around.

How wrong I was. Somehow I'd been tricked into turning up to TEAM TRAINING as a fill-in for a missing player. I spent two and a half hours doing shuttle-run sprints, smashing into tackle bags, shoving a 16th-century scrum machine around the field, and getting pummelled in ruck-and-maul drills. I don't think I've ever felt so utterly out-of-shape in my entire life. I think I puked up a lung somewhere near the far 22 around the 120-minute mark. It hurts to type this.

Then the coach thanked me for coming along and told me to turn up for a seniors second-grade match on Saturday as they needed subs. I've somehow gone from thinking I was turning up to a social run-around into being drafted into the second row for a proper game. I'm going to fucking die.
I revisited my old boxing trainer's Gym about 6 weeks ago and was invited to spar with a young 18yr old prospect. All I can say that I was belted around the ring for about 10 mins before I had to cowar out. I thought I would still be relatively fit, as I still jog most days and hit the bags every couple of days. So it shows how much actual competitive sport keeps you really fit and 'on the ball' figuratively speaking.